Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sore feet - advice needed

4 posters

Go down

Sore feet - advice needed Empty Re: Sore feet - advice needed

Post by Spins Mon May 10, 2010 12:04 am

+1
Happens to me the whole time too but only once I go above 50 miles. Happens moreso on the right foot. Used to happen to the left foot too but when i got the bike fit done, yer man moved both my cleats and seems to have cleared up the problem in the left foot. So maybe it is just something to do with the cleat position. Yesterday the entire upper part of my right foot was completely numb and felt like a lump of concrete, so stiff i couldn't even wiggle my toes. I presumed it was just me and that it was happening because of the northeasterly wind that was blowing. I've just come to accept it as part and parcel of any cycle I do over 50 miles.
I did a good bit of online research about it and there are various theories including, inter alia, incorrect cleat position, incorrect saddle position, too much/too little cleat float, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be shoes that don't fit right. I bought my shoes on e-bay and they feel like they fit just right, lengthways anyway, but they may well be too narrow up front. Most of the cycling forums say what you'd expect "don't buy your shoes online, unless you've tried them on first". Next time i buy a pair I'll go to a shop with a load of different makes and try a few on. When i first noticed this problem i put a post on boards.ie about it and nobody seemed to be able to recommend a particular shop to go to in Ireland where the guys really knew their shoes, I think one person mentioned cycleways, can't be quite sure though. However, there's a great shop in the UK where they measure up you feet, length and width, and then recommend a number of shoes for you to try on based on the measurements. The next time I'm in the Uk, i think i might treat myself to a new pair there.
Oh yeah, another thing I read was that a lot of triathletes, including me (wow, i just referred to myself as a triathlete), use tri specific shoes. I read on an ironman forum that for long course triathlon, if you have them, wear your road specific rather than tri specific shoes as they're apparently far more comfortable.
That's my fuppence worth....

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Happens me a bit as well - the big toe of my right foot was numb yesterday getting off the bike. I assumed it was caused by excess pressure on the end of the foot / toes caused by the sock balling up around the toes, if that makes sense.

Maybe your shoes are too tight, I'm sure they don't come in different widths but some would be a better fit than others.

Oh sweet jesus I put a serious post on the forum affraid it won't happen again

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by kc Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Marco, it happens to me all the time, i try to wiggle them as often as I can but I dont think it makes much difference. The first couple of ks on the run can be pretty awful. I think its the same as your hand on the handlebars. If I dont wear cycling gloves my hands go very numb, which is why the gloves are padded to absorb the shock. The carbon bikes absorb alot of the vibration so its not as bad on the hans as with the old steel bike, but maybe the road shock causes the same in the toes. Ive never read anything to confirm this so maybe its just you and me who suffer. Anyway thats my contribution for what its worth, sorry I dont have a solution. By the way 2 pairs of socks dosent help much either.

kc

Back to top Go down

Sore feet - advice needed Empty Sore feet - advice needed

Post by Marco Sun May 09, 2010 7:34 am

Hi folks; just looking to tap into the collective wisdom out there. When cycling any sort of longish distance, from about 20 miles on, I start losing feeling in my toes from about the cleat position up. It starts to get pretty sore then unless I shake it out. It took me about three miles of the run today to get the feeling back, which is hardly ideal.

Any thoughts / explanations / remedies out there?
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down