Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mount Leinster tour

+2
Dillonger
martink
6 posters

Go down

Mount Leinster tour Empty Mount Leinster tour

Post by martink Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 am

Anyone up for another longish spin next weekend?
If this nice weather last's what nicer than the views from the top of Mt. Leinster Shocked
Was thinking, Waterford- New Ross-Enniscorthy-Bunclody-over the hill to Borris-Graignamanagh-New Ross-Waterford about 90miles I think.
Not as early a start as the shamrock tour leave it until about 8am Laughing
Saturday the best day considering the weekend thats in it ???????? easy pace!

Discuss...........

martink

Back to top Go down

Mount Leinster tour Empty Re: Mount Leinster tour

Post by Dillonger Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Martin, the way you worded that, it sounds like the essay question you would get in Leaving Cert English, with the closing line.... Discuss....

I reckon I could easily write 10 foolscap pages on that route anyways!!!

Actually on this theme (And I know I'm radically drifting off the subject matter now!) but did anyone do the Leaving Cert in 94? Well one of the essay choices that year was 'Where would the world be without sport?'... It was also the year that Yeats didn't come up in the poetry after he had come up every year for the previous 20 years so I had to do the question on comparing any two poet's work so I compared Yeats with Kinsella and I could barely remember the names of Kinsella's poems. Finally, 94 was also the year that the Rock n Roll Twins won the Eurovision and also the year of Riverdance. But I honestly can't remember what happended in the All Ireland hurling final that year.

Dillonger.

Dillonger

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 am

I'd be on for it Martin. From what I remember theres a cross at the top of Mt Leinster, how about for the weekend thats in it last one to the top gets nailed to it and ripped off on sunday.

Noel we're from the same vintage, my memories of the leaving cert have more to do with Ray Houghtons lob and Paul McGrath giving the best display by an Irish sportsman before or since though. I thought you were on the panel for the 94 final Question

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm up for it weather permitting and it's not looking great according to Accuweather...... Question

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 pm

So is this still happening or wha?

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Yes, I'm all set! (After Dillonger's rant I had forgotton the question!!)

Are we meeting at the Crystal sports centre at 8am on Saturday? Ham sandwiches all round after the abstinence on Good Friday!?

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:32 am

I'm bringing cans this time..... tongue

Spins

Back to top Go down

Mount Leinster tour Empty The Cross!!!!!

Post by Aerohed Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:59 am

I like Brians idea of nailing the last person up Mount Leinster to the cross!! affraid great incentive to improve your hill climbing and your competitive nature, as well as preparing yourself for the "undulations" of Switzerland!! Shocked Reckon Martin K will have a nail gun to save time and stop getting to cold at the top!!! Wouldn't be a bad idea for the last person to the top to buy the first round on Sunday night in Geoffs Very Happy (when they are taken down from the cross, obviously!!) Twisted Evil

See you Saturday.....!!!!

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Sounds good, but I'm afraid I'm struggling with a chest infection, and that looks a bridge too far to me No

Which means the obvious candidate for Martin's nail-gun is out....could Slatts' plan backfire? Is anyone planning on cycling in a loincloth?!?
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks to Martin K for his choice of a great scenic cycle today. The views were spectacular on the way up, including cycling past mounts of frozen snow. 8 of us out (Myself, Davin, Brian, Tom C, Gavin Q, Stephen D, Mike Bowes & Martin K). Left Waterford at 8am, headed to New Ross, Enniscorthy, Bunclody, Mount Leinster, Borris, New Ross and home (plus out and back from Tramore/Kilmeaden for some). Martin had predicted the distance as 90miles but it was well over 100miles for most. (Which I think he secretly knew...!!)

Northerly wind was cold early on but the sun came out later to make it a enjoyable sunny cycle. A pit stop for coffee etc (in Bunclody) to give us strength before the 11k climb of Mount Leinster. Everyone was very strong with Stephen and Mike B taking no chances on the nail gun being produced as they flew up the hill!

A final pit stop in New Ross for a few badly needed cokes as a "pick me up" for the final leg home.

Martin obviously still fresh from his brilliant 6th place finish in Wheelworx duathon in Dublin yesterday...

It was another great confidence boost for everyone esp. with 16wks to go to IM. Hope Marc O'C recovers from chest infection soon, he would have loved the fast descent off the top of Mount Leinster today.

Hopefully on our next excursion we will have all 13 IM hopefuls out...

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by martink Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:26 am

enjoyable spin today........ spins had his research done and statistics to hand early this morning on elevation, distance and climb difficulty study (but was secretly looking forward to it) great scenery, weather and no punctures Smile we need to start planning the next tour!

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down