Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour"

+4
Spins
Slatts
Marco
Aerohed
8 posters

Go down

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour" Empty Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour"

Post by Aerohed Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 am

Just to give a bit of notice to the faint hearted, some of us are planning a longgggg cycle affraid (ie. longer than what we have done so far..) on Paddy's Day (2 weeks from Wed.) Will leave early, prob between 7am & 8am..we will confirm time closer to the day. Obviously weather dependent. We can decide route over the next week or so..but not a particularly hilly spin.

It will be steady with a couple of food/drink stops en route. We will keep the group together.

Anyone else interested????

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour" Empty Re: Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour"

Post by Marco Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 am

Reference earlier forum post:

Marco wrote:"Oh, I'd say about 65 miles" - Aerohead when quizzed about lenght of proposed cycle route.

New rule of thumb - multiply any figure given by Aerohead by 1.2 for a more accurate/realistic number study

Additionally, replace any instance of the word "undulating" with "oh, sweet Jesus, it's still going up!!"

That said, I'm up for it - sounds like a plan.
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour" Empty Re: Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour"

Post by Slatts Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 am

Count me in. My "CENTURY RIDING CREAM™️" ass cream arrived today. So me and my leathery hole will be able for any punishment you can throw at us.

...........That said I hope its for cycling

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:54 pm

As it'll be Paddys Day, can we stop for a drop of the black stuff on the way back?
After all this is the Ironman thread and there's plenty of iron in a pint of plain.... Very Happy

Spins

Back to top Go down

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour" Empty possible routes

Post by martink Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 am

A couple of possible routes for the "Shamrock tour" what does anyone think?

1.Waterford, Knocktopher, Kilmoganny, Carrick on suir, Clonmel, Ballymacarbery, Dungarvan, Waterford approx 100miles any one want to make it a little shorter could meet in Carrick at an arranged time and skip Knocktopher and Kilmaganny that would be 80 miles approx.

2. Waterford, New Ross, Wexford, Enniscorthy New Ross, Waterford approx 85 miles can add on to this for the 100 pale
Both routes are reasonably flat, cant seem to link a map for some reason!
Any one want to add to this? or we take to the hills Shocked

Spins....... plenty of opportunity to practice the water/aid station's on the way back you know what I mean Wink

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I'd plump for the first option. Was cycling around Wexford on Sunday, and it strikes me that they're not as used to seeing cyclists on the road, judging by the number of blaring car horns! We might need to keep in mind road closures for parades as well - more likely to be a problem in the bigger towns...
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:27 am

Ah go easy on the poor Wexicans, you probably annoyed them by not buying their fruit & veg on the side of the road and robbing one of their women. Anyway its when they stop blowing the horns that you have to be really worried.................... affraid

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 am

1st route?? (take out the tramore bit and its around 100miles)
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

2nd route
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

i'd have to vote for the 2nd wex route cause i've never been that way on the bike + the other way's a bit longer affraid would happily do the first route tho but cut out kilmaganny etc if somebody else was aswell??

steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

I'd also prefer the 1st option. Good wide roads for most of it, also good opportunity to make it shorter for whoever wants to and for non-ironman members to come along for the spin.

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by norah Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi all,

Just a reminder that the Carrick cup is on Paddy's day so you might run into a road race around Carrick/Clonmel roads. It normally gets big enough numbers and plenty of support cars as well as supporters racing across the loop trying to get a good vantage point as the race passes.

N.

norah

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Had forgotten about that. Looking at the Carrick Wheelers website, the race is due to start at 12noon. I know we had planned to leave quite early in the morning so if we do choose that route we would need to make sure we do leave early to avoid any traffic associated with this.

What do others think?

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am

I don't mind which one we do. Might me an idea to make a call closer to the date based on what way the wind is though.

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 am

Brian Slattery, July 25th, 2010 - "Don't think I'll bother, lads - wind's blowing the wrong way..." Basketball

220 reviews 'Anti-Chafe Products' this month - timely Rolling Eyes Apparently, the best stuff "was originally designed to relieve dairy cows of the discomfort of sore udders". This sport is leading me to dark places....
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 am

I never said I didn't want to cycle into the wind for extra training...............

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Helly Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:41 am

Ummm...some very interesting reading on the Anti-Chafe products...anyone going to try out the ReSkin Bike Patch? I don't mind washing Aerohed's smelly clothes after a long bike session but I will draw the line at washing THAT for re-use! pale

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:35 am

Ah sweet jesus I had to go and google it....................

I bet Aerohead has one already though. And Helly irons it for him before long cycles for extra warmth in his special place Laughing

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Paddy's day ultra spin "The Shamrock Tour" Empty Departure time for Wed

Post by martink Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 am

Meet at waterford Glass centre 7.30am, should get back at a reasonable time....... every one happy with that? get a look at the weather on Tuesday make a final decision. Spins don't forget to factor in porridge eating time Sleep

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 am

im in..all going according to plan.. bounce

steve

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:15 pm

anyone taking the wimpy option of a "mere" 80 miles or so???if not when where u guys leaving Tramore in the morning??

steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 am

Think we're driving into town rather than cycling. If we cycle in then it becomes a 115 mile cycle. And that would be a little bit too much affraid

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 am

Porridge 'marinating'
Flask cleaned
GPS charging
Alarm set (6.30am)
All set.

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 am

Don't forget to go to bed early and get a good night's sleep...no stayin up late watching vampire films!

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 am

Great cycle today. 8 of us out (Myself, Martin K, Gavin, Marc O'C, Brian, Stephen D, Noel Ryan (& Davin out for the extra training to kick ass))

All did 100miles+ at a handy pace (18.7mph avg... some going!) We did the Kilmaganny/Carrick/Clonmel/Dungarvan route which had a few scenic (ie.undulating) climbs. A few interesting choices of food/drink with Martin's chicken sandwiches and Gavin's flask of coffee but they did the trick.

I'd say people are still raiding the fridge in between naps.

Congrats to everyone...we must plan our next trek.

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:19 am

Great Day! 100 miles by March, how bad? A few thousand calories to play with. Think I will have that last can of Guinness and another pack of Tayto.... mmmm gotta love this training.... bounce

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down