Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Spins 2012

+3
Slatts
Pio
Spins
7 posters

Go down

Sunday Spins 2012 Empty Re: Sunday Spins 2012

Post by Spins Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

14 or so showed up at the TOP garage this Sunday. Weather wasn't as nice as Saturday, twas a bit misty but at least there was little wind. Davin suggested "a nice little climb" somewhere down by Dungarvan and off we headed at a tidy pace out the main Cork Road. At the bottom of the Pike we veered right towards Mount Mellary and a mile up the road hung a right towards the backside of the Maw Maw. About a mile further down the road, we cycled in to a wall, i.e. Davins "nice little climb". In fairness, it wasn't that long but 'nice' might be an adjective too far affraid Ahead of us was a nasty double hairpin climb about 800m long, not as bad as, but comparable in many ways to Seskins. Can't believe so many of us knew nothing about it. We were surprised that it didn't have a name, surely a nasty bugger like that deserves one. Suggestions on a postcard please. Anyways, we regrouped at the top and headed back out to the Cork Road and headed home. The usual madness ensued from Kilmacthomas home driving the average speed back up. A nice spin an all done well under three hours. Distance 55 miles Avg Speed 18.5mph Consumed only 1 banana surprisingly

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:23 am

Going to head on TT bike on sunday if anyone is interested joining me - meet the group at garage as usual at 9:30 do a few social miles (at the front for fear of impaling anyone of course) and then head off on own. Run afterwards too for anyone feeling energetic...

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm

About 12 of us turned up yesterday. We headed to Pilltown, up through Templeorum and hung a left at the outdoor swimming pool and back down towards carrick. After a lovely downhill we hit another uphill which came as a bit of a surprise to most of us!

We stopped off in Carrick to wish the lads & ladies doing the duathlon good luck before heading the back way to Portlaw up another dirty hill. Once we hit Portlaw most of us headed for Kilmeaden but Davin dragged a few victims up Church hill (in the big ring presumably!)

Orchardstown hill was as fun as usual.

Stats (for Gavin):

Distance : 55 miles (from Tramore)
Ave Speed: 17.2 mph
Amount of climbing: 952m
Ave HR : 122 BPM
Food consumed during: 2 x small bananas, 1 x dodgy looking gel that I got in a goodie bag somewhere around 2009
Food consumed afterwards: 1 x smoothie (milk, whey protein, 1 x banana & frozen berries) 1 x fresh juice of beetroot, apple, pear, garlic, ginger & carrot

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes, thanks to Brian, Davin & Stefan for coming back with me. I could see the relief in everyone else's eyes as the 4 of us turned back. Fair play to eagle eyed Davin who spotted my watch up on the bank, fallen inbetween 2 rocks.. I would never have found it.

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Shane didn't get off lightly. We made him buy us sweets in the shop for making us cycle up that hill again

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Smaller group than the last few weeks, probably down to tired legs from Saturdays duathlon in Tramore and the cold morning that was Sunday. Around 14 showed up. It was nippy but sunny, a lovely day for a cycle really! Out the main Cork Road we headed at a handy enough pace. Martin and Dots turned off to watch the road race in Kilmacthomas. When the rest of us hit Lemybrien, we turned left and headed up the country road to Kilrossanty on the way to the Maw Maw Road (spelling?). The last time a couple of people in the group had gone up the Maw Maw was in the Sean Kelly 160km so with that in the memory banks, some of us approached the climb with trepidation. No need for it though, as we all just climbed it at our own pace and it was such a beautiful morning with fabulous views from the Comeraghs right down to the coast that the climb seemed to fly by (for me anyway). We regrouped at the top and there was even some talk of a club time trial up the Maw Maw during the Summer!!! pale (watch this space) The spin back down was brilliant until we reached Lemybrien and Shane realised his Garmin had fallen off his wrist on the descent. Panic set in through the group. Shane panicked as he had lost his bit of kit, the rest of us panicked as someone was gonna have to go back with him to look for it. In the end Davin, Stefan and Brian (good chaps!) went back with Shane and thankfully they found the Garmin halfway back up the climb at the cattle grid. The rest of us, after waiting around for 5 or 10 minutes, eventually headed back in the road as we all had to help Pio with an urgent spot of babysitting. Laughing We met Martin and Dots on the way back, as they were returning from the road race in Kilmacthomas. Distance 54 miles. Avg speed 17.6 mph. Consumed 1½ bananas & half a snickers. The lads did an extra 12 miles going back to get the Garmin. All in all a nice morning on the bike.

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 am

That was just the shortest way home, Spins - no training agenda at all!
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Lunatics! Why didn't ye go home the main road? Hmmmm, reeks of 'secret' training to me, next time I'm coming out to Tramore with ye....

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Spins, I was on the front for that descent, and I offer a heartfelt apology. I was a bit lost (and brain was oxygen deprived from ascent) and I blindly followed the real ringleader - we all know who we're talking about.

In any case, I'm not sure a written apology is required - I believe my regret was more than evident on the climb out of Kilmoganny Sad

65 miles for the Tramore gang, and the dubious pleasure of Orchardstown hill....
Marco
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:07 am

20ish showed up at TOP this morning. Nice morning for it. Off we went up to Fiddown and onwards up Templeorum. On the descent the wrong people were left up the front and that mention of Knocktopher at the bottom of Tepmpleoprum seemed to be completely forgotten about as the head of the group sneakily turned left towards Kilmaganny. Twas a first time for many up Kilmaganny but it wasn’t that bad, Templeorum is worse in my opinion. We regrouped at the Top of Kilmaganny Hill, then descended in to Carrick and headed homewards the main road. The Tramore lads turned off at Fiddown and went back the Kilmeaden way. Distance 56 miles. Avg Speed 18mph. Consumed 2 bananas and 2/3 of a mars bar

Spins

Back to top Go down

Sunday Spins 2012 Empty Sunday Spin 05/02/12

Post by Spins Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:55 pm

About 25-30 turned up this morning, a good crowd considering how damp and grey it was. We took off out the Cork Road at a handy pace and everyone stayed together until Lemybrien. The WTC High Performance Team were spotted with their TT bikes at the garage in Lemybrien. There was a smell of sausage rolls in the air but no evidence of pastry on the ground…..hmmmm!
The group split from Lemybrien and our group of about 15 went as far as the top of The Pike, then hung a left across the narrow roads to the coast road. Not happy with the challenge the usual coastal route provides, like lambs to the slaughter we followed the leader to the Coast Road MK2, which brought us in to Stradbally Village and introduced many of us to a few new hills we hadn’t experienced before, Lovely! It was very scenic though in fairness. Once with hit the Coast Road MK1, we regrouped after ‘that hill’ at Kilmurrin Cove. From there on home, it became a matter of each man for himself as the group split all over the gaff. Personally, I fell asunder after Annestown.
A tough hilly day in dreary conditions but great training nonetheless. Distance 54 miles. (My) Avg Spd 16.7 mph. Consumed 1 banana and half a bounty (should probably have eaten more).

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by roco71 Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:40 am

leonard2004 wrote:Another excellent spin with ye all again this morning, Thanks very much.

2 Weeks in a row Leonard, Transfer window is still open Laughing

Bob.

roco71

Back to top Go down

Post by leonard2004 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am

Another excellent spin with ye all again this morning, Thanks very much.

leonard2004

Back to top Go down

Post by leonard2004 Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

Spins wrote:Sunday 15/01/12
Another great turnout, c. 30 at TOP garage. WTC and a few of the usual Carrick heads. Picked up a few Sportif and Comeragh heads along the way. Overcast for most of it but it stayed dry. Left TOP garage, headed up back road to Carrick where the group split in two. Our group went across Fiddown bridge, up Templeorum Hill where the group splintered before regrouping at The Pond. A few of the lads headed back via Carrick at this point but the majority went on to Knocktopher then back the old main Dublin Road to Waterford. No incidents of any note. The usual madness ensued from Mullinavat to Waterford resulting in tired legs on the Quays and whispers of “Thank god I don’t live in Tramore” from the Waterford lads (well me anyway). Distance 47.4 miles, Avg Speed 17.9 mph, Consumed 1 banana, a Turkish Delight (Frys) and a bit of a Catch bar.

I was one of the two Sportif lads who tagged along with ye yesterday, I just signed up here on the forum to say thanks very much for an excellent spin, it's been quite a while since I've cycled with such a nice bunce on lads and girl :-)

Fair play to ye all.

leonard2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Sunday 15/01/12
Another great turnout, c. 30 at TOP garage. WTC and a few of the usual Carrick heads. Picked up a few Sportif and Comeragh heads along the way. Overcast for most of it but it stayed dry. Left TOP garage, headed up back road to Carrick where the group split in two. Our group went across Fiddown bridge, up Templeorum Hill where the group splintered before regrouping at The Pond. A few of the lads headed back via Carrick at this point but the majority went on to Knocktopher then back the old main Dublin Road to Waterford. No incidents of any note. The usual madness ensued from Mullinavat to Waterford resulting in tired legs on the Quays and whispers of “Thank god I don’t live in Tramore” from the Waterford lads (well me anyway). Distance 47.4 miles, Avg Speed 17.9 mph, Consumed 1 banana, a Turkish Delight (Frys) and a bit of a Catch bar.

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 am

uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm bounty

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pio Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:33 am

A banana and half a bounty, that's a picnic you were on Spins. Very Happy

Pio

Back to top Go down

Sunday Spins 2012 Empty Sunday Spins 2012

Post by Spins Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 pm

In the ineterst of keeping up the Sunday Spin Summary tradition, now that aerohead is too busy changing nappies, albeit 3 days too late, I've decided to post this.....
So last Sunday was the first club cycle of the new year and people turned up in force, both from our own club and from our dear neighbours Carrick Tri Club. There must have been c. 30-35 people at the Top garage. Great turnout, most of the usual heads and a fair share of newer members. Maybe the reason aerohead didn't put up a post, dirty nappies aside, was that he couldn't remember everyones name, as he used to. Senility ahem!
Relatively nice spin today, handy pace for most of it excepting the usual madness from Kilmac to Kilmeaden.
Relatively uneventful. Someone punctured before Kill and we all regrouped in Bonmahon. Group split up again outside Bonmahon before heading to Stradbally then back home via Kilmac and the Cork Road.
Paul O had a scary moment on the run in to Kilmeaden before his chain broke on Orchardstown Hill.
Forgot to turn my garmin on but the spin was about 35 miles and I'd say average speed was about 16mph.
Consumed 1 banana and half a bounty.
Same time next week, 9.30 at TOP garage.

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down