Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My four cents

+4
DaveD
Pio
martink
emmk
8 posters

Go down

My four cents Empty Re: My four cents

Post by copperman Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Sadly I will not be able to attend, this should not significantly decrease the pool of available knowledge. My only advice is that like the race the training is up to you. If you choose to attend group training chances are you will not go at your pace. So you will get less training benefit. The sooner you stick to your plan the better. Its a lonely road. Lastly try to practice toilet interval sessions and speed penguin walking! Embarassed

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by martink Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi all, We will go with Sat at 3pm for a bit of a chat in the Holycross pub. Most wont be starting training until Jan so we can go through a few bits transport for bikes accomadation ect. and a general chat. If people are intersested we can do something in line of a chat ,meet up, every 6 weeks or so, we can talk about that. Its always going to be hard to pick a time to suit everyone see how it goes. Anyone who done the distance over the last couple of years feel free to come along and give your input and expieriance.

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by roco71 Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:38 am

Lads, I would be interested in attending also to get a handle on the undertaking involved as I have 2013 in mind. It might be too early but sure no harm in being sure before I go off on an IM crusade.

roco71

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:36 am

Yep the duathlon is this saturday Mark. Your wife and kids will have to get used to seeing a lot less of you next year so might as well just start a bit early.

Ironman Tip #1

When you are accused of being a selfish bastard just walk around the house in nothing but a pair of cycling shorts and asking where you left your calf guards. She wont be able to get you out the door quick enough

Ye could just have the meeting in the pub after the duathlon. I think they serve food there...

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by MDS Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:38 am

26 is good for me also. Is thïs not the same day as fenor training duathlon :scratch:Mark D

MDS

Back to top Go down

Post by emmk Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 pm

I think I am more of a 3rd man.
But you cant please everyone. I spoke to Bruce about the VO2 Max test and he said its all possible.
He might even show to talk, his slides from last year someone might have them they are good.
I think Slatts and Gavin did a few VO2 during the course of their training they might talk about that.
I did one and just went off that for the year but might of changed training if I fould gapes or places to improve.
Also they are eating lots more cake since there is no Ironman this year.
But there is a slot for sale What a Face
If any one wants to view all my training its on line as well. study

emmk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveD Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:30 am

26th suits me too.

DaveD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pio Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Well Martin Sat 26th would be good for me.

Pio

Back to top Go down

Post by martink Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 am

How does a Sat afternoon suit everyone for a chat? Next Sat 26th or the 3rd or would a evening suit better, any thoughts.

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveD Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 am

Cheers Emmett, appreciate the info.
My new found friend Mr.Fink tells me it would be a good idea to meet up before xmas!! santa

DaveD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pio Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:12 am

A meeting before Xmas would be a good idea Martin as I know a few lads are talking about starting their IM training before then (not me, I'II be to busy eating and drinking until the 2nd week in January). drunken

Pio

Back to top Go down

Post by martink Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 am

All good information Emmet, with a lot of talk or Ironman next year already Very Happy if people are interested in meeting up over the next week or 2 to have a chat we can arrange something or we leave it until after Christmas if people prefer??? any thoughts

martink

Back to top Go down

My four cents Empty My four cents

Post by emmk Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:51 am

With only 233 days till Ironman Austria.

A few things to think of.
Training plans. There are so many plans out there from 30 weeks to 24 even 18 weeks to Ironman.
A few of us used the Fink plan. “Be IronFit” 2nd Edition by Don Fink. This book is a general guide to the sport, drills and contains a Plan three plans actually. The book deals in time not miles so its nice knowing you will return at a set time and does not look to bad. The training relies heavily on heart rate training so you must know your heart rate and limits. A VO2 Max is one of the best ways to determine your max heart rate and defined training zones. Bruce in WIT can do the tests. Why do one.

To calculate your max heart rate is 220 – your age. I found out I was younger than I am not only mentally but physically this allowed me a few % to play with or just make me run harder to get to higher zones. Some people have max heart rates that are much lower than their calculated heart rate so they will never reach their upper zones. These things are good to know. Your training plan can be more tailored to you needs and a retest can show improvements and places where improvement is needed.

Some of the strongest club members do not train using heart rate they use measured exertion. These club members are normally seasoned triathletes and know how much they have left in the tank and what pace they can maintain and for how long.
Whatever you decide it does not matter train often and not too hard. If you really don’t want to do a workouts skip it. If your not feeling well don’t do the workout. You will do so much accumulated miles what is one or four sessions in 6 months training. You don’t have to do every session and you can make them shorter if you want. Don’t get fixated on doing the 8th sprint when the 4th hurts bad. If you stop a workout or skip a workout be glad of the decision and don’t look back.

Eat well when possible in the big weeks sleep well because you will be tired. Eat straight after the big stuff have your gear somewhat prepared the night before. I had the opportunity to train in the morning before work it may take waking up at 06:30 and cycling a very long way to work but morning sessions allowed me to walk out and stretch out my muscles all day rather than night time training that left me stiff in the morning and not in good way.

Unless you have a training partner who is very close to your ability or willing to go slower or work harder to keep up some sessions, key sessions are workouts you will have to do by yourself because your Ironman training is your training, don’t compromise it and be angry because you waited or you made your self run to hard (not in zone 2).
As some Iron Man said “ Only you can make It Happen”. cheers

I know its general stuff and there are more experienced triathletes than me competing this year but I just put down my four cents because I might of liked to hear them 12 months ago. Maybe an early Ironman talk would be good with some of the well seasoned Ironmen from the club.

emmk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum