Waterford Triathlon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Jaunt..

+2
copperman
Aerohed
6 posters

Go down

Sunday Jaunt.. Empty Re: Sunday Jaunt..

Post by Helly Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 am

While the Cat's away the Mouse will play...

Perfect for today's cycle. Our slave driver (Michael C) was not out with us today so we took advantage and only did 40miles. Myself, Norma, Olive C and Jacinta (fresh from her 3rd place finish at Fenor Duathlon yesterday!)

Did a few hill around Stradbally, Bonmahon and Kill so not all easy but escaped the heavy rain so were lucky. A lovely enjoyable cycle... Very Happy

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Helly Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:01 am

Did our usual Sunday cycle on a Saturday this week (as a few of us doing the Waterford 4mile race tomorrow)

With that in mind we were hoping for a nice handy cycle, maybe a bit shorter & easier than usual but Michael C would not leave us off with it and dragged us up Templeorum hill (goes on for at least 4 miles!) Myself, Norma, Olive C, Michael C and Mark Daly. Then went on to Owning, Carrick and home the back road by Kilmeaden. Did 50.6 miles on my GPS. (the .6 is important as it makes it our longest cycle this year..although Mark did over 60miles as he cycled in/out to Tramore)

I will have a good excuse for my slow time in the race tomorrow..

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Helly Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am

Another large group today for our Sunday spin. 8 of us (myself, Michael C, Rachel, Mark Daly, Carol, Siobhan K, Ben Casey and Caroline)

Did a nice flat route, Kilmacow, Owning, Carrick (a bit pot holey on the back rds) and home the back road, but turned off at Orchardstown and went to Tramore. Approx 50miles.

Had a bit of a panic when we arrived at the railway crossing in Carrick to find it totally blocked off with workmen doing repairs complete with crane, trucks, etc. They took pity on us though as let us walk throught their uprooted train tracks...the alternative (back up the hill which we had lovingly descended!) was the scary option...

I think the winter may be behind us as as basked in the sunshine. A lovely route which we have to thank Michael for.

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Helly Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:19 am

We had our largest group ever for our cycle today...Michael Carroll was the envy of the other male members as he had 10 ladies to accompany him on our spin today. It was Katie Kellys 1st time out with us so she was thrown into the deep end as we decided to include the coast road from Tramore to Bonmahon as part of our cycle...then on towards Stradbally. We did approx 50 miles by the time we got home (more for Norah Storey who also cycled in from Tramore)
We were all quietly confident after our Bike Maintenance (puncture repair) session yesterday (Thanks Stefan!) but were lucky enough to have no incidents.

It was obvious from the large group that none of us got treated to breakfast in bed or any other such delights for Valentine's Day Wink

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Helly Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 am

Had great cycle today...Our group (myself, Olive C, Ann H, Caroline R and Roisin) headed off into the Fog. Was absolutely freezing, so cold that our overshoes and gloves started to ice and freeze! By the time we got to Kilmeaden my hair actually had icicles on it. We could hardly see where we were going but by the time we got a mile or so past Kilmeaden on the Dungarvan rd, it was like summer!
Stopped off at shop in Leamybrien for a break (someone even got a coffee to go with their chocolate biscuits..I'm not saying who though..)..enjoyed the sunshine..
Lovely cycle home (passing a few fellow club members going in opposite direction) till we almost reached Kilmeden again, where we had to re-enter the freezing fog. Did over 40 miles, very enjoyable despite the weather.

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by copperman Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 am

Brian really I am lost for words! I would say you should get out more but I do believe the human race is in genuine peril here! I won't even share your Portlaw comments. What happens on Calvary stays on Calvary!

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 am

I'm with you Martin - first thing I thought of was the two boys getting it on a la brokeback mountain on the fiddown bypass, only to be broken up by a big carrick farmer with a bucket of cold water

These long cycles seem to be having a bad effect on me Very Happy

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by copperman Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Really its just who and how it is read. For those who need clarity I crashed in Carrick and Michael was very gracious in avoiding me! So yes I enjoyed the spin, but not the 180 degree turn in Carrick. Whats this I hear about a disc wheel? Really are you trying to comp[letely depress me. Anyway have to go and work on my swim speed, its my onlyl hope!

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by martink Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Great spin yesterday nice distance considering so long since we were out, good weather and scenery! Copperman I hope you enjoyed your spin,
"The warm atmosphere was best demonstrated when I decided to lie down in the road for a rest and Michael swerved around me, rather than rolling over me and making sure I was finished off! "
so many inuendo's scratch

martink

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Great cycle yesterday if scaring the sh*t out of yourself RE: how much work has to be done can be called a great cycle. Seriously tho, really enjoyed it, more of the same please..... Hurrah! and other such words of encouragement! Plus, may I add, afternoon naps should be a key part of every aspiring Ironmans plan.... speaking of which.. Sleep

Spins

Back to top Go down

Sunday Jaunt.. Empty Sportsmanlike cycling

Post by copperman Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

In the afternoon myself and Bowes headed out for a friendly cycle. The warm atmosphere was best demonstrated when I decided to lie down in the road for a rest and Michael swerved around me, rather than rolling over me and making sure I was finished off! (Take note Martin) And thanks Michael!!!!

Stefan

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerohed Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Sorry, I should really have mentioned the other 3 cyclists who came with us also yesterday. (I was bit tired last night to think straight!)

Louis, who had a great cycle but his young legs suffered a little towards the end..(he's not doing the Ironman)
Stan Power from Carrick Tri who prob ended up doing much more than he planned..and Brian Sweeney from Carrick Tri who is doing Iroman Switz this year...

Altogether, we made a great bunch of cyclists..

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Sunday Jaunt.. Empty Sunday Jaunt..

Post by Aerohed Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 am

Well impressed today! A few of us doing the Ironman met up together this morn for a "handy 40+mile" cycle. Looks like the endless turbo training sessions have paid off as we ended up doing between 65-75 miles at a consistent pace, nice to get out and about in the sun. sunny (And this after doing a tough 11 mile offroad hilly run in Portlaw woods yesterday...)

Martin K was as consistent and strong as ever, even though he didn't have his usual basket full of sandwiches and food, and was unlucky to get 2 punctures.
Although Gavin (Spins) had a heavy & excessive xmas period, he has taken his new years resolution seriously and had great cycle hanging on to the bitter end and headed home for an afternoon siesta! Sleep
Marco's strength & weights training prog. has not affected his cycling at all, if anything it helped him on the tough ascents and he made up serious ground on the descents...absolutely flying!
Myself, I really enjoyed the spin Very Happy , my longest since Kenmare training last year. Will admit to having a snooze in the afternoon myself...but I blame my age!
Brian (Slatts) had ants in his pants all day! Had an awesome cycle. Anytime myself or Martin looked behind us at top of a hill, he was right on our tails...obviously all those 3hr turbo session and weight training have paid off big time!

With 27 weeks to Ironman affraid , its a great start. Looking forward to the longer and harder sessions. Bring it on!!

Aerohed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down